Portimonense returns to winning ways four months later

Possignolo was sent off near the end

Photo: Nelson Inácio|Sul Informação

A solitary goal by Wellington Junior guaranteed Portimonense, this Sunday, an important home victory against Famalicão and broke the glitch of the Algarve who were no longer winning the League on this 12th of December and, in their stadium, the drought lasted from 9 November.

The two teams, who are looking to get away from the dangerous zone of the table, entered the pitch with just one point separating them in the league table and provided some open opening minutes, but with few goalscoring opportunities.

In the 18th minute, Portimonense left the first warning, when Fabrício isolated himself and threw himself at the bar, but the bid was invalidated for offside.

At 28′, it was Carlinhos who, from a long distance, shot hard, but the ball went wide of Luiz Junior's goal.

The best opportunity for the visitors, in the first half, came in the 41st minute, when Bruno Rodrigues, following a throw-in, hit the crossbar of Samuel Portugal's goal.

Portimonense responded in the next minute and was more effective.

Angulo crossed from the right, Nakajima deflected the ball with his heel, it reached Wellington Junior who, at first, hit the post, but in the rebound, with a header, he even scored 1-0 for the Algarve.

Despite Famalicão's reaction being expected on the return of the break, Portimonense was the first team to create danger in the second half and then in a double dose.

In the 55th minute, after a corner from the right, Pedrão, at the far post, shot for a great save by the Famalicão goalkeeper. Following another corner, Filipe Relvas jumped higher than everyone else, but the header went wide.

In the 63rd minute, there was another opportunity for the Algarve team, when Wellington, with a free-kick, shot hard for another save by Luiz Junior.

In the 75th minute, the foreign team asked for a penalty, for allegedly handing the ball inside Portimonense's area, but referee Manuel Mota, after consulting VAR, ordered the match.

The best opportunity for the Famalicenses came in the 85th minute, when, after a free-kick by Gustavo Assunção, Riccieli headed into the side net of the goal at the far post.

The last few minutes were frantic, but even Portimonense could have increased. At 90+4′, Da Costa shot with the first shot, in the area, for another great save by the Famalicão goalkeeper.

The Algarve ended the match outnumbered after, in the 90+5′ minute, Possignolo had seen the second yellow card.

With this victory, Portimonense kept the 12th place, but “breathes better” in the fight for maintenance.


Photos: Nelson Inácio |Sul Informação