The Lyceum Museum Nucleus Faro will be inaugurated this Saturday, May 13th, at 10:00 am.
This space, dedicated to the archive and dissemination of the heritage of the city of Faro and the Algarve region, will be located in the Library of João de Deus Secondary School, current name of the former Liceu de Faro.
The ceremony will begin with the presentation to the community of the theme “Manuel Viegas Guerreiro and the Lyceum museum centre”.
The Lyceum of Faro was officially created by decree of Queen D. Maria II, on January 3, 1851.
In 1911, the request for a transition from the “national” to the “central” Lyceum was made, which allowed him to also teach the complementary course (and not just the general one).
The name of the Algarvian poet and pedagogue “João de Deus” appears for the first time as patron of the high school in 1912, by a movement initiated by its students, only being recognized and made official in 1929.
It is renamed Liceu Nacional de Faro in 1948 and occupies a new space, in what is now the current building located at the top of Avenida 5 de Outubro.
The work was officially handed over on April 28, 1948 and, in 1966, the lyceum once again adopted the name Liceu João de Deus, and celebrated the patron's day on March 8 (date on which the poet's birth is celebrated). and pedagogue).
On April 27, 1978, it was renamed Escola Secundária João de Deus by decree that ended the distinction between secondary schools and technical schools.
In 2009, under the Program for the Modernization of Secondary Schools, the public company Parque Escolar plans to refurbish the building, but only in September 2010 does its rehabilitation formally begin, which will only be completed in 2015.